Car Insurance
Car Insurance
Get a Car Quote Today!
Car Insurance Car Insurance
Contact us:
0345 017 9795

Motor Claims Line: 0345 017 9962

Driving in the EEA Post-Brexit

Driving In Europe and Green cards

Post-Brexit, it had previously been a mandatory requirement to have a green card to drive in the EU. It was used as a way to prove that your car was insured to drive abroad. However, after a new ruling, a green card will no longer be necessary. The rule came into force on August 2nd and will be applicable to both personal and commercial vehicle users.

Please note that if you are taking your own car and your trip is less than 12 months, you will be required to take your V5C logbook with you. If it's a car you've hired or leased, you will require a VE103 form which proves you can take it out of the UK. For more information please visit the Government website.

Further advice for driving in the EEA Post Brexit

Can I still be use my insurance to drive in other EU member states post Brexit?

Your insurance will continue as normal. Addition cover is not therefore required to drive in other EU member states using your vehicle. However we still recommend checking your policy for the exact requirements of your insurer which may vary.

What happens if I am involved in an accident abroad – do I need to contact my insurer?

In the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident abroad, please contact us as soon as possible. We will be here to help and you can contact us using our dedicated motor claims number 0345 017 9962.

To assist your claim, please remember to ask for the insurance details of the other driver and gather as much evidence as you can about what happened in the accident. Take photos if at all possible, these could be very helpful to us.

Do I require a GB sticker on their vehicle when travelling in the EU?

We recommend you should display a GB sticker on the rear of their vehicle. Even if the vehicle currently has a number plate that includes the GB logo, it’s recommended to have the sticker as well. Please note that an insurance policy will not be invalid if you do not have a sticker, but it will have the benefit of preventing any trouble with the legal authorities outside the UK.

Do I require an International Driving Permit (IPD)?

An IPD is issued by the Post Office and not directly through us. To find out if you need one for the country you are planning to drive in please check the Government website for an up to date list. If you do require an IPD then you can apply for one on the Post Office website. Always allow enough time for your request to be processed.

Driving in the EEA Post-Brexit
Courtesy Car Following An Accident*
Legal Expenses Service
Full Claims Backup
Online Discount
Audio Cover
Windscreen Cover
New Car Replacement
Protected Bonus
Foreign Use
Up to 70% No Claims Bonus
Immediate Cover Online

* Subject to Insurer, comprehensive cover & availability


cheap car insurance  Car - 0345 017 9795
cheap van insurance  Van - 0345 017 9792
cheap motorbike insurance  Motorbike - 0345 017 9795
cheap home insurance  Home - 0333 0151509
cheap let property insurance  Let Property - 0333 0151508
cheap business insurance  Business - 0333 0151507
cheap travel insurance  Travel - 0333 0151516

City Insurance Group
88-89 High St
SO23 9AP
Tel: 01962 844848


Useful Info

Contact Details
About Us
Policy Documents
How to Claim
Driving Abroad - Brexit
Optional Extra Cover
Car & Van Breakdown Cover
News and Articles
Existing clients - FAQs
Latest News and Blogs

Green Card update and new driving laws
Read full article

Motor Update: Biggest fuel rise in 5 years – how to find cheaper fuel and improve fuel efficiency
Read full article

More than 90,000 drivers on the brink of losing their licence
Read full article

Scam Alert - Drivers warned of fraudulent DVLA messages
Read full article

The Best Types of Smart Home Security Device
Read full article

Covid-19 Motor Update: Car Dealerships set to reopen
Read full article

Thefts and Burglaries on the rise
Read full article

Van Insurance Guide and How to Reduce Your Premium
Read full article

Drink-driving related deaths highest in 10 years
Read full article

cheap car insurance

cheap van insurance

cheap motorbike insurance

cheap home insurance


cheap let property insurance

Let Property
cheap business insurance

cheap travel insurance


Service Excellence Since 1989

Site Links

Useful Links
City Insurance Group is a trading style of City Broking Ltd (No 7184645) Registered in England and Wales. Registered Office: 88/89 High Street, Winchester. SO23 9AP England. Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No 520574)